Patience and pastries
WE'VE become suckers for a food queue."Hey Wes, what's going on over there? I need to see. Oh those (insert food here) look divine. If all those people are queueing for them, they must be good - maybe the best in Shanghai, or China maybe. Hmmm...I wonder what they are?"
But oh how curiosity can waste a morning, as we discovered on our wanderings along Huaihai Lu in Shanghai on Friday.

It started out just as above. In the downstairs foyer of a restaurant, five cooks were manning six enormous shallow friers, turning and prodding little mounds of pastry, embossed with a red ink stamp, until they turned golden brown. And the smell! Oh the smell! It's no wonder delerium set in.
There was a sizable snaking queue for these prizes and after a bit of debating we thought, what the hell. If 50 locals are willing to wait, well they must be good. Plus, we're on holidays. What's 40 minutes or so for the best anonymous pastries in Shanghai.
So we hopped in line, much to the amusement of a few other queue-goers who had probably surmised that we had no idea what we were queueing for.
"Something yummy, I hope," I would have said if I could speak Chinese.
10.45am. At first we chuckled about our curiosity. We made bets about what was inside the pastries - I was hoping for a sweet nut/seed mixture; Wes thought something meaty. I briefly pondered the possibility we were lining up for liver, intestines and lungs.
11.15am. "It's a bit strange we haven't moved yet," said Wes.
"Hmmm," I said. "I bet they're waiting until 11.30am then they'll start selling them. Let's wait just a bit longer." Meanwhile, enormous piles of pastries were piling up and disappearing while more and more people joined the line - now up to 70 - despite looking at the queue in disbelief.
A decrepid Grandpa turned around to us and said, "Three or four hours. Very long time." I thought, "Ha! You silly old bugger, you're trying to scare us out of the line. Very sneaky. I don't think so, buddy."
11.30am. All of a sudden we had to stay. We'd already waited 45 minutes and I bloody well wanted a reward for our patience. And there was no way I was going to break the queue - it was a mission.
"But we haven't moved," said Wes.
"I know," I said. "What is happening? This is ridiculous. But everyone looks so patient. I can be patient too."
Soon we felt like we knew everyone in the line. Red Shirt was the "Cutting-the-Queue" police, zipping up to the counter to have-a-go at someone - anyone - and reporting back to The Patient Ones With Shopping Etiquette. When the assistant sold any pastries to the Queue Cutters, I thought there might be an uprising; a coup headed by Red Shirt herself. We could storm the lobby and raid the pastries.
11.45am. "I can't believe we've waited an hour," said Wes. Should we go? we debated. But we've already sacraficed an hour, we thought. It can't be much longer.
"I will die if they're not the best pastries I've ever eaten," I concluded. Oh the pressure!
12.15. As we neared the front of the pack it dawned on us that people were walking away with up to eight packets of eight pastries, those greedy bastards. Ridiculous, I thought. "They should bring back Communist rations," Wes said.
12.30 Almost there, almost there. Hurry up Gramps. Aaah, our turn. Utter joy.
So were they worth waiting 1hr 45mins for? They were hot and oily with a meaty centre and incredibly rich thick pastry. Quite bland too - crisp on the outside but almost a little under-cooked throughout.
Is it wrong to want some tomato sauce? I thought. Probably.
I managed to eat two; Wes managed a few more; we both burned out mouths in sheer desperation. No regrets, but now whenever I spot a food queue and get excited, we do have a little chuckle. hehe.
Edit: Please check our Flickr badge, on the right of your screen, for more piccies.


3 Comments:
hey gang,
good to know that your long wait and disappointing results training by LCI staff meetings paid dividends
-j and vj
Hello Gu-ers!
Yes, nothing could make me more patient and tolerant than sitting through an LCI staff meeting every fortnight.
We'll have a beer for you here in Qingdao - they sell it draft in plastic bags on street corners, and you use straws! (for 20cents at that!)
If it gets too much in The Gu, you could always catch a boat and join us. Ships leave daily from Incheon Port to Qingdao!
cha cha
W and C
hey there wes and carmen its your favirot family members buschka aunty queenie lachlan and Bobbie the best most beautifull smartest blonde in the world and that othere ones what her name kacey
just want to say next time yous come to innisfail the deadly place you'll have to come round and have a bag of beer. love your website
Post a Comment
<< Home