Monday, March 05, 2007

Bun Cha

THIS is the meal that’s temporarily turned me vegetarian.

That and a book called Fast Food Nation which has given me a horrific insight into what’s in the meat we eat as well as lots of interesting information on the state of feedlots, slaughterhouses and other goings on in the fast food industry.

I had just finished the book that morning and for some reason, which I immediately regretted, I suggested we try Bun Cha for lunch at a street eatery in Hanoi that is always teeming with locals.

Just as soon as we’d negotiated the price and sat down, out came two enormous plates piled high with cold sticky vermicelli noodles - so big we sent one back - a forest of greens, fat crispy spring rolls and - drumroll - two soup bowls overflowing with barbecued meat.

Overflowing. With lukewarm almost cold meat. The perfect temperature for bacteria growth. A veritable stew of miscellaneous meaty bits. Grisly mincemeat balls with scary knuckly nubs and stretchy fatty pork strips.
Captured: my moment of distress
Everyone around me was digging in. They were slurping with joy from their soup bowls, throwing me side looks to check on my progress.
I tried very hard. Honest, I did.
It didn't work.
Bun Cha: one for the carnivores, not for one who has just finished reading Fast Food Nation.

3 Comments:

At 6:03 AM, Blogger the madscientist said...

Yep, fast food nation totally changed my hangover eating habits. Cow dung burgers are not appetizing no matter how much I'm craving fat and protein.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger jules and sim said...

Hey Guys
I was just thinking of you two as I tucked into my lunch - dolsot bibimbap. It's the first time I've found some Korean at the lunch-time places over here. Yum, so fresh and tasty. I was this week last year that we were in SK with you guys enjoying your company and the freezing weather. Looking forward to seeing you both in only a matter of weeks in London. (And no freezing temps -it's warming up nicely and is going to be 13 tomorrow which I'm very excited about!!)
See you soon, Jules xx

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

madscientist - I am definitely hearing you on the cow dung burgers!

Jules - wow, a year since your stop in Korea? It goes so fast. How I miss my bibimbap...I'm jealous! C x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Site Counter
Free Web