Mags, public holidays and bircher

ONE of the things I miss most about home is the ability to pop down to the newsagent and buy a girly mag.
I love to see them all lying there, cheek to cheek, looking so attractive with big headlines and sexy photos jumping out at me. If the shop assistant isn't watching, I like to steal a good long read of each magazine I'm not going to buy. And if they are watching, I like to put into practice my most prided mag-shopping talent, which is knowing the exact amount of time you can read a magazine before they hiss at you, or throw you a dirty stare that says, "Bloody well buy it if you're going to read it"!
One of the most thoughtful birthday presents I ever received was from my good friend Carla who bought me a subscription to New Woman magazine, my favourite read at the time. So enamoured was I with my subscription, that very soon I knew the exact date it would arrive each month and would trudge through my work day with a smile on my face knowing it would be waiting patiently in the mail box when I got home.

Four June edition Canadian fashion magazines recently came into my possession, courtesy of our ex-Gu friend Ean who took pity on those of us left in this country. For the chosen few he sent power bars, blu tac (they don't have it in Korea), CDs and said magazines. I am the temporary guardian of the mags until I see our former housemate Sharon, to whom I will also pass on the Australian magazines I received from Mo and R (pictured at top - we have to share the wealth around).
The Canadian mags are great. There's Cosmoplitan (yet to read), Marie Claire (excellent, as always), one called Lou Lou (currently reading) and one called Glamour. I've read a few Canadian Cosmos before, as a girl from our school had a subscription, and always thought their fashion was a bit sad. It just didn't seem as cutting edge as in Australia (nor am I a fan of Cosmo). But I am pleased to report that this time I am more than satisfied and have been feasting my eyes on many an outfit.
Right now I have a big cup of Robert Timms coffee next to me, a bowl of bircher muesli (thanks to Uncle Toby's Rolled Oats, hand delivered), four magazines and a public holiday to boot. It's a good day in The Gu.
Glitch update: Yes! I found a way to upload photos! But unfortunately it's still not working as normal, and involved an irritating process of cutting and pasting words from one post to another, where the photo was able to upload. So fingers still crossed.
Edit: While we're on the glitch issue, our blog template has some big ones (post titles disappearing, passages of text disappearing to name a few), which is why we've again changed templates. In the process we've lost all of our sidebar links and Flickr badge, so bear with us as we re-install it all. Cha.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home